Dear Enthusiasts of the League of Women Voters of Berkeley, Albany, Emeryville,
The light at the end of the [dark COVID-19] tunnel has never been so welcome! But now we see more clearly why this Spring Giving Campaign is needed to support the large tasks our communities face in:
• Climate Protection – continuing our Climate Team’s sponsoring a panel on Climate Smart Agriculture Programs April 21 and partnering with the Alameda Chapter of Citizens’ Climate Lobby for the “Wild and Scenic Film Festival” April 22.
• Healthcare Reform – energized by a reorganized Healthcare Team with plans to present a caucus in partnership with LWV Diablo Valley to promote the newly introduced bill AB1400 Guaranteed Healthcare for All at the LWVC State Convention in June and to educate BAE on Healthcare reform.
• Affordable Housing – educating on rising poverty levels leading to more homelessness and greater rent distress with events like our recent “Conversation on Housing” webinar.
• Diversity, Equity and Inclusion – promoting DEI within LWVBAE and without by reaching out to other Leagues like LWV Tucson.
• Criminal Justice Reform – monitoring by the LWVBAE Criminal Justice Reform Team of the ongoing reform of the Police Review Commission into the more effective Police Accountability Board mandated by Berkeley’s Measure HH passed in Nov. 2020.
Much appreciation in advance for your generosity and commitment to nurturing League ideals and helping to raise a new generation of Leaguers, our high school and college student interns!
Ruby MacDonald, LWVBAE President
All League News