NEXT MEETING: Thursday March 23, 7:00-9:00PM. see story “Action Team Meeting March 23”
When we “take action’ in the League, we work for, campaign for, and lobby for League policy positions. LWVBAE Action addresses government activities, laws and regulations and proposed ballot measures in our three cities, in the county, in the greater bay area, in the state, and in the nation.
The Action Team brings together all the team chairs and all other League members who want to take action on an existing League policy position. We do that by writing letters, facilitating a meeting, participating in debates, or writing OpEds. The Action Team reports what’s happening in the areas they are following and proposes specific actions to the Board.
League Priority Areas for Action in 2016-2017
LWVBAE Local Action Teams
Climate Change— find local areas for action; support state and national calls for action.
Health Care— build member and public understanding of single payer option.
Civics Education Team–new focus on Prop. 13 Reform
New Teams Spring 2017–Immigration, Housing, Making Democracy Work
- Money in Politics
- Climate, Sustainable Water, and Protecting the Environment
- Election Reform and Voting Rights
- Minimum/Living Wage
Public Higher Education Study: This three-year study was adopted at the LWV California Convention in 2013. The local study committee has completed its work. New policy position adopted at LWVC Convention 2015.
- Protecting and Engaging Voters– the many facets of Voting Rights and Election Administration.
- Money in Politics–money in elections, ethics and lobbying.
- Climate and Environmental Protection
- Healthcare (including Reproductive Choice and Mental Health)