The new Immigration Team meets Thursday, April 6, at 10:30 am in the League office, Suite F, at 2530 San Pablo Ave, between Dwight and Blake, . Free parking can be found on the streets below San Pablo Ave and often in the Bank of America parking lot.
Want to join, but time is bad for you? Please let Deborah Malbec, firstname.lastname@example.org, know. The Team was started by interested members at the post-election Brainstorm Meeting Feb. 21, but turnout at the March meeting was small. The Team will only continue if enough members want to work on the issue. The League is its members.
Below are some notes from the February meeting and some background information.
Immigration – LWV US Position Statement
Promote reunification of immediate families; meet the economic, business and employment needs of the United States; be responsive to those facing political persecution or humanitarian crises; and provide for student visas. Ensure fair treatment under the law for all persons. In transition to a reformed system, support provisions for unauthorized immigrants already in the country to earn legal status.
From the ACLU statement on IMMIGRANTS’ RIGHTS
The fundamental constitutional protections of due process and equal protection embodied in our Constitution and Bill of Rights apply to every person, regardless of immigration status.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- There are 41 million immigrants in the United States.
- In 2013, 83 percent of people deported from the United States were not given a hearing before a judge.
- The United States spends $1.84 billion detaining immigrants.
- When the government has the power to deny legal rights and due process to one vulnerable group, everyone’s rights are at risk.
- When individuals are afraid to call the police because of actions which may be taken against them (such as deportation), it leaves criminals on the street – unchallenged.
Brainstorming Thoughts – possible issues and actions:
Immigrants vs safety : fight with facts and education
Farm laborers are not the problem
Actively lobby to protect (undocumented) students
Facts about value of immigrants
Migrant farm labor to pick crops
Entrepreneurs and inventors special visa for business founders
East Bay Express – 339 names given to ICE by Sheriff since July 2015 (Santa Rita, Dublin)
Indivisible, Bay Area Resistance,acudir (Alameda Co United Immigrant rights)
Educating the public on real data to combat fear
Gather information about specific actions of various cities and higher ed to support students –
protection from deportation
All League News